Saturday 25 May 2013

dinner today

I  have always been interested in food and try to eat healthily whenever I can.  I attempt to cook as many of my meals from scratch as possible, although sometimes I fail particularly when I have had a difficult day at work.

I love sandwiches, and today I decided to make one of my favourites which is egg salad.  Egg sandwiches are a standby in the cook chill fridges at the local supermarket and can be very plain and they are usually either too dry or two moist making the bread soggy. I wanted some extra flavor in my sandwich. I hard boiled 2 eggs as I want to have some left over for lunch tomorrow.  I mixed some mayonnaise with some french dressing, some lemon juice, a couple of very finely chopped cornichons and 1/2 a stick of very very finely chopped celery.  You want a bit of crunch to offset the egg but not big chunks of celery to gnaw through.  Lastly I added 1 tablespoon of chives to give a mild oniony flavour. I added seasoning and covered the mixture and left it for a while for the flavors to meld together.





Tonight, I decided to cook myself a mushroom and bacon risotto.  I started off by sweating off some onions  to release their sweetness, I added celery and cooked for a few minutes.  I then added some chopped rindless back bacon, some dried sage, rosemary and thyme and lastly some rough chopped field mushrooms.


Whilst this was cooking I cooked my risotto rice, I use Arborio, I briefly dry fried the rice in a small amount of Olive Oil just enough to coat the rice.  I then added stock bit bit bit and a splash of white wine and simmered stirring all the while until the rice was cooked to my taste.  When the rice was cooked I added the bacon and mushroom mixture to the pan.







Ingredients
75 g Arborio Rice
1 flat field mushrooms
2 rashers bacon
a mixture of stock and wine,enough  to cook rice in.  I don't measure this as I put my wine in first, and add enough water to cook the rice.
Rosemary I used 1/2 teaspoon
Sage I used 1/2 teaspoon
Thyme I used 1 teaspoon.



No comments:

Post a Comment