Monday 27 May 2013

Whitsun Monday Meal

Its a bank holiday Yipee, the weather has been glorious double Yipee.  I decided to expand my horizons a little with my main meal of the day today.  I sort of followed a recipe by Atul Kochar- Homestyle chicken curry.  Well homestyle means what is says I suppose, I altered the recipe a bit to suit what I had in the cupboard and my taste. I don't like very spicy food so my spice measurements are quite conservative.

This was enough for me for two meals.  This dish took me 45 mins to prepare, and it is cooked on the hob.

Ingredients and measurements that I used.

1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ginger                    
1/2 tsp Black Peppercorns
1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
splash Vegetable Oil
2 Bay leaf
2 Small Onions
2 diced Chicken Thighs
1/4 tsp Chilli Flakes
1/2 Coriander Leaf
1/2 Ground Turmeric
1 400g can Chopped Tomatoes
1 tspTomato Puree
1/2 Garam Masala

Rice to serve.  I used Basmati.





Method
I strained the pulp from the juice of the canned tomatoes then reduced the juice to a thick syrupy mixture, I then added the pulp and reduced it a little.
In another pan, I sweated the onions then added the spices, stirring all the while to prevent the mixture from burning.



I added the chicken thighs and cooked the mixture gently, frequently stirring to prevent burning.
I added the tomato mixture.  The resulting mixture was thick and paste like, so I added some water to make a more creamy consistency.


I cooked the mixture thoroughly, to ensure that the chicken was cooked through.

Service










No comments:

Post a Comment