Sunday 7 July 2013

Dinner today 6 July

I love reading cookery books, but they have to be a specific kind of book incorporating some narrative text as well.  I have a lot of recipe books so I don't buy collections of recipes anymore and with the advent of the internet and websites like the Good Food website, realistically I don't even need to keep the recipe collections but do for sentimental reasons.  BUT, I love a cookery book with narrative and still buy them or borrow them from the library  (a fast disappearing resource).  Just recently I have been reading Claudia Roden's 'The food of Spain'.  This is a beautiful book with plenty of photos to relieve the narrative which is highly descriptive of both ingredients and regions of Spain.

I decided to make one of the recipes that by all accounts is a traditional Spanish dish. Patatas a la Riojana or in English Potatoes with Chorizo.  I used one of her variations and added tomatoes to the onions.

My quantities for one
4 medium sized new potatoes
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
2 onions
1 tomato or a handful of cherry tomatoes
100g Chorizo



Method
Sweat the onions in the Olive Oil until they are soft and slightly caramelized.
Add the tomatoes, and cook until softened.
Add the potatoes and cook for a couple of minutes stirring all ingredients together.
Add water to just cover.
Simmer gently, uncovered until the potatoes are tender and the liquid has reduced to a sauce enough to cover the Chorizo and potato mixture.  If the potatoes cook before the liquid has reduced, turn the heat up so that the liquid reduces more quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment